Thursday, September 6, 2012

WILL THE NEPONSET RIVER BRIDGE EVER BE FINISHED?

I haven't been commuting by bike to work because:
   A: Its been raining or threatening to rain and I am a fair weather bike rider.  The guy in the cubicle next to me  bikes in rain, sleet, snow, hail and lightening.  He says he has to commute by bike, there's no other way, he lives around here.  He swears that all you need is a fender to go over the rear wheel so that mud and water don't splatter up on you.  He says "Get one of them and you can ride anytime"
 and
  B: I can barely get out of bed in the morning.  My energy level is 1 and the thought of getting all my travelling gear ready is overwhelming right now.   I need a vacation.

I've been taking the car these last 2 days  and wondering why I'm driving to work.
 Its been an hour and 1/2 travel time because the traffic is ridiculous. bumper to bumper over the Neponset River Bridge, travelling 0 to 10 mph all the way in to town on the expressway.
Yesterday in that Neponset traffic, where by the way, the Staties are doing a terrific job of standing there.
 My car tapped the woman's bumper  in front of me,   I was trying to move up to get out of the way of the other drivers.  I didn't even know I tapped her car that's how light it was.
She got out of her Jeep, looking like a mental case and wanted  my insurance papers. I said "are you kidding? There's nothing there.  It was a tap."
"You hit me"
"It was a tap,"
  She was so angry, she took a picture of me with her cell phone.  I told her she was crazy and she said "No you are" but I got the last word in with "No, you are."  She got back in her car.
Then i had to drive behind her for the next 45 minutes all the way over the bridge. Cringing.

This morning I thought I would get a lucky break on a closer parking spot.
 There is a section of free parking next to my office building but the parking becomes legal starting at 9:30 am.  So most days people park there and sit in their cars waiting until 9:30.  This morning it was wide open,  plenty of parking.
It was 9:15 and the meter matron was there.  Standing just across the street waiting with her ticket book and pen in hand. There were about 5 or 6 cars already parked and they all had those orange neon parking tickets stuck in their windshields.  Bummer for them.   I hear a ticket around here is $75. a whack. That's more than 1/2 month's parking.
So I ended up at the usual mile and 1/2 down the road which took me 15 minutes to walk and so I was 1/2 hour late. That's better than yesterday, I was an hour late.
 Biking is better than driving.  Maybe tomorrow i'll have the energy to bike it.








Here's my bikes at home, getting dusty but not rusty because I keep them in my house.


2 comments:

  1. I don't know what was up yesterday, Wed., but it took me well over an hour just to travel the Wollaston beach road and over the Neponset bridge! Is that about 1/2 mile? I don't have a GPS and didn't have my map book so I sat there calling to make arrangements because I was over an hour late. 18 mile trip, 2 hours and 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was so bad yesterday because its back to school and one of the problems is, is that everyone is taking their cars in because the T went up in price and its cheaper to take the car.
    My roommate takes the T and I hear how bad it is - crammed with people, running late and smelly.

    ReplyDelete