Tuesday, August 28, 2012

MORRISSEY BLVD DRAW BRIDGE

By taking my lighter road bike I shaved off 20 minutes from my commute home yesterday.
But I'll tell you, it was hinky scary.
 I couldn't ride on sidewalks or in dirt or grass so I had to stick to the main roads with the cars and it was a busy, busy rush hour.
I screamed the whole way, going over that little Morrissey Blvd draw bridge with the cars riding along side me.  That draw bridge has about 10 to 12 feet of steel bumpy grate  that you can see the water down below if  you dare look down.
I'm starting to think that drivers in cars drive past you and then suddenly  forget about you because they drive ahead of you in bumper to bumper traffic and move closer and closer to the curbs, squeezing bikers off the roads.

I didn't get to go through my usually route through the beautiful Tenean Beach one of Dorchester's beaches. (See Tenean Beach blog)
 I went Morrissey Blvd. to Neponset River Bridge, no off-road.  And no bike paths because they're aren't any "bike paths".  Not where I rode.  It was exciting.

At Neponset Circle while waiting for the light to turn green, I met a young guy who was running his commute home.  He had his back pack on and we struck up a conversation.  He was running from Brookline to Quincy and then  he said he takes the Quincy train to Braintree where his car is and then a 45 minute drive home.  "Wow" i thought, "he looks really pale with dark circles under his eyes."
 He said it was his way of getting his exercise in for the day.  I don't know how healthy running all  that is but people are doing all kinds of things to help the commute to work.
And he and I both agreed that the drivers are maniacs not to be trusted.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you regarding Morrissey Boulevard, Neponset Circle, etc.

    I live in Quincy center and I detour over to East Milton for the relative calm of Dorchester Lower Mills and Dot Ave (which does have a bike lane).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever considered a motorcycle or scooter? They are much easier to park than a car, much less work and faster than a bicycle, and safer in being able to keep up with traffic speeds. 50cc scooters are considered motorized bicycles and only cost $20/year for registration fees - far less than the gouging done to motorcycle owners by the state.

    ReplyDelete